*photographs courtesy of Heidi Murphy
No. 8 takes its name from the No. 8 Mill that once towered over Amesbury’s Main Street. Built in 1862, the mill was home to the Hamilton Woolen Company and the Bailey Carriage Company before being dismantled in 1929 for a row of retail spaces. The new restaurant embraces its history, by juxtaposing a 1930’s shop feel with mill furnishings. Reclaimed wood tables and art contrast painted millwork; chairs upholstered in wool fabric complement leather banquettes that reference old carriage seats; and an 18-seat shop counter bar. The restaurant also features an open garde manger station and a rear dining room that overlooks the Pow Wow River falls.